Thursday, June 11, 2015

What's Old Isn't New Again but is Appreciated More

It's an interesting thing for me to go back and look at my early pieces of mixed media art.  I can see the progress I've made and that I've improved.  At least I think I've improved.  lol

I have new art to show you but I need to take photos of it before I can share it with you.  In the meantime you'll have to settle for seeing another of my early pages.  These photos aren't great, they're awfully wonky, but I really don't want to take the time to retake them.  






When I first decided I wanted to do mixed media work, a little over a year ago, I turned to Youtube to see if I could find some master mixed media artists who were kind and generous enough to share their talents.  It took me a while but I believe I've found the finest artists!  I'll forever be grateful to them for teaching me so much! With their information about product and technique, and of course inspiration, I began an art journey that I can't imagine ever not continuing to travel.  

Often I've jokingly said I have more education that any one person should be allowed to have.  From accounting, which I always hated but paid the bills, to graduating cum laude from art school, to later working on my masters degree in elementary education...I loved nothing more than my art classes.  Each and every class.  Do you know what it's like to find something to do in life that makes your heart and soul sing? This is how I always feel when I'm engaged in my art practice.  I hope you can relate!

I believe my strong love of art and the need to practice art is why when I'm stressed out (see my prior post) my creative energy takes a hiatus.  How can my heart and soul sing when they're preoccupied with the nasty business of worrying?  And believe me, I may not be considered a master artist in anyone's eyes, but I sure am a master worrier!

My wish is that I can train myself to not react to stress at the cost of forfeiting my creative mojo until I can calm down again.  But I keep flunking this class!  LOL

Now I am calm again and back to practicing my art but revisiting my early mixed media pages is not without merit - it is always good, I think, to take a look back and assess what, if any, progress has been made on the important things in your life.  I would do this mixed media page differently today - not because I don't appreciate my effort making it or the end result - but because I'm capable of doing it differently today.  Wait.
Did you hear it?...that is the sound of my heart and soul singing a duet!


1 comment: