Little Libraries and a shout out to Linda!
Little Libraries are the coolest things to happen to communities in a long time. I've seen a couple of news reports on TV about Little Libraries and some of them have been built and decorated so adorably. Little Libraries remind me that when I was a kid it was a big deal whenever the Bookmobile was in my neighborhood, which was often because there was a city park just up the block from the house I grew up in in Milwaukee. That park, Concordia Park, was a kid's paradise - tennis courts, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, and plenty of play equipment for climbing and swinging. In the summer the parks department opened the kiddie pool and in the winter they created a very large ice skating rink where the tennis, basketball, and tether ball courts were. There was even a zamboni to keep the ice smooth for easy skating. In the summertime there were "park people" as I called them...young adults hired to keep an eye on things going on at the park. The park people also taught some games to kids who wanted to learn games likes chess, dominoes, and jacks. I lived at the park!
A red-letter day for me was the Bookmobile that would show up at the park every Friday during the summer. Just seeing the Bookmobile made me happy and going inside and checking out books all on my own made me feel so grown up. I would load up on books to read, I didn't have to lug them very far to get them home.
Linda blogs about the Little Libraries that have sprung up in our community as well as about the books she's read and plans on reading. I read about everything else Linda blogs about, too. So it's about time that I tell Linda that she has me paying more attention to my surroundings while I'm out and about town - I'm looking for Little Libraries. I've spotted one so far, here in Manitowoc. Maybe finding a Little Library is like seeing one deer grazing on the grassy property across from the "barn entrance" to our little zoo...you know where there's one deer there are always more nearby. I often see deer hanging out in that same spot during the day and it's near there where I saw my first Little Library. I didn't stop to check out the Little Library I found, but I love it. What's not to love? Constructing the Little Library was a labor of love and done in the spirit of sharing a love of books and reading - free of charge - with others.
So Linda, I'm dedicating this blog post and accompanying mixed media page to you! I hope you enjoy it!
Till next time!




I love the page you dedicated to Linda! It is adorable! Those little libraries are really nice. What a nice post also. You say things so well!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Yes, as soon as I posted about the LIttle Free Library's all the news media latched onto my story ;-) Your art is perfect for my grands....they like to read past bedtime....how can you put a good book down just because the clocks says a certain time???? Thanks again!
ReplyDelete